Geo. Wright & Co.
Geo. Wright & Co.
- Specialist in
Billiard Dining Tables.
Sadly there is little in the Heritage Collection concerning this
Billiard firm but with help from Peter Aisworth some salient
details have been recorded and if any one can provide further
information it would be of great interest. Currently the only
picture of a table made by them is taken from a auction catalogue
in 1981. The table was listed as being an 'oak three quarter size
(presumably a 9ft) Billiard table with detachable five leaf dining
top on four gadrooned baluster supports interconnected by worm
gearing so as to provide adjustment between dinning table and
billiard table height.
The business, according to the 1926
B.A. & C.C. Rule book was founded in 1868. George Wright, the
founder was born in 1847, based on the obituary published in the
Billiard player dated March 1927, and moved to London when he was
14 years old.
It would seem that in the early years they specialised in
Billiard Diner Tables, bagatelle tables and the like as they were
advertising in 1870 as Wright and Co. operating from 162/164
Westminster Bridge Road. Their advert reads -
"Wright & Co. have now on sale their superior
billiard and dining table combined. It can be made the proper
height for either purpose by simple adjusting screw; the frame is
so constructed as to be no inconvenience to the knee in sitting at
By 1876 the had taken more space as their address is recorded as
being 158/162 Westminster Bridge Road. In the Billiard book dated
1877,written by Crawley, the firm is refereed to Geo. Wright &
The business must have been marketing its products well and also
exporting Billiard tables as they won Gold medals at exhibitions in
Australia and new Zealand in the early 1880's.
They were claiming by the mid 1880's to have the largest
showroom in England with over "100 tables in stock to select
It is also reported that in 1890 Geo. Wrights made a special
Billiard table at a lower height to suit W.J. Peall who was
'short in stature'. John Roberts comment was - ' There is no doubt
that a tall man is under nearly as much disadvantage with the
present table as a short man was under a table of the pre Peall
The founder of the business George Wright retired from the
business in 1896 according to a letter sent to Norman Clare in
1988. The letter was from a member of the Wright family (his great
grandfather was George Wrights uncle). In the letter it said that
in his obituary it was noted that George Wright left the business
to his brother, Henry Wright, in 1898. It also went on to inform
that George Wright became a Brick manufacturer. He was also a JP in
Middlesex, an Alderman of Middlesex County Council and in 1926 was
A cushion plate circa 1894
Geo Wrights had a match room in Argyll
Street, Oxford Circus which were opened in 1894 keeping there
manufacturing at the Westminster Bridge Road premises.
A cushion plate circa 1902
Also in 1902 the registration of a
patent covering a convertible dinning and billiard table was
registered by F.R Wright, which indicates the business was still
heavily involved in billiard dinning tables. They registered
further patents for convertible billiard tables in 1904.
Also in 1904 a series of letters
concerning which company were the first to manufacture of full size
billiard dinning tables was entered into via the pages of 'The
World of Billiards'. A claim by a Mr. Calvert in a report on a
match between C. Haverson v W. Osborn sparked off the series of
letters. The report and letters follow -
28/9/1904 - World of Billiards
19/10/1904 - World of Billiards
02/11/1904- World of Billiards
16/11/1904- World of Billiards
16/11/1904- World of Billiards
It is also noted that the renovations
mentioned in the final article on the 'spate' were finished and
would reopen on 5th December 1904. The work having been carried out
'under the personal superintendence of Mr. H. Wright (presumably
George Wrights brother who took over the business in 1896). The
business was also registered as Geo. Wright & Co. Ltd.
The cushion plate circa 1904, seems
to also indicate that they had premises in Manchester as well.
In 1907 the business transferred from
Westminster Bridge Road to the Argyll Street Address and it was
deemed necessary to have a letter published explaining that they
had not closed but just moved and neither were they associated with
any other business.
However in 1908 it was reported that a
new company registered on 11th May 1908, titled Geo. Wright and Co.
Ltd. had taken over the well know and long established business of
the same name. Mr W. Chas Vincent, late manager and receiver of the
old Company had been appointed manager of the new Company (was this
a 'pre-package deal !!?). The Company again issued a special notice
concerning adverse and unfound rumours concerning the business.
cushion plate circa 1910
Billiard Cloth sample swatch circa
In 1923 the Company seems to have again suffered a 'problem' and
was registered as Geo. Wright & Co (1923) Ltd. still with the
& Argyll Street address.
As previously mention the founder
George Wright died in early 1927 having retired from the business
some 30 years earlier.
The problems being faced by Geo.
Wrights meant that by 1928 it was taken over by Orme & Sons
Ltd. of Manchester
cushion plate circa 1930 - with both
Orme's & Wrights name on them
Orme & Sons were themselves merged
shortly after with Burroughes & Watts and the London address
changed to 19 Soho Square, being Burroughes & Watts
Acknowledgements - Peter Ainsworth ,
World of Billiards magazine, Cushion plates from the Norman Clare
©2012 Peter Clare -
this article can only be reproduce with permission from E.A. Clare
& Son Ltd.
All items displayed are from the N.
Clare collection. Reproduction of article allowed only with
permission from E.A. Clare & Son Ltd.
Please do not hesitate to ask should need any advice on snooker,
billiards or pool or wish to make a purchase. Thurston has the most
comprehensive range of tables and accessories available.
to contact us by phone
0151 482 2700
email - firstname.lastname@example.org
copyright E.A. Clare
& Son Ltd 2009. & 2011
Go to Top of Page